Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Thanksgiving: A Pit Stop to Christmas

I was talking to a friend the other day and she said that it already looked "like Christmas threw up in Pier 1...on November 3 and I am so confused on what holiday I'm suppose to celebrate next." This got me thinking, it seems like now a days Thanksgiving is a pit stop to Christmas. It usually marks around a month till the big gift giving day but instead of enjoying the time spent with friends or family, so many people are just in a hurry to get out and go shopping because they think that is the only way to show someone they care.


But I want to make this year different so here are my ways to not make Thanksgiving a pit stop for Christmas:


1. Remember what the day is about. 
The name should give you some clue as to what Thanksgiving is about...giving thanks. Now you don't have to sit around and go one by one of what you are thankful of, though that is always good, but just take a moment through out the day and reflect on what you have and appreciate your blessings.

2. Enjoy the food. 
Being from the South, food has a special place in my life. Holidays especially are full of casseroles and spreads that last for days after, but food anywhere has a special way of bringing people together. Regardless of if it is homemade of at a restaurant, enjoy the food you are eating.

3. Don't shop on Thanksgiving Day.
 Just please don't do it. I applaud the stores that are not opening on Thanksgiving this year. It has been said before but it is truly sad that so many people spend Thursday being thankful and then trample each other to get more stuff on Friday. In recent years it has gotten worse because people spend lunch on Thursday being thankful and then by dinner they are out shopping. There is a reason it is called Black Friday, not Black Thursday.

4. Don't rush to Christmas. 
So many stores and people rush through the year just to get to Christmas. I love Christmas music and and decorations but I don't want to decorate before Thanksgiving. I mean who really wants to see Christmas Trees and 4th of July decorations up at the same time?? So decorating in the  middle of July? Yeah right! Before Halloween? Nope, not happening. But Black Friday? Bring it on.
So this year, don't rush through Thanksgiving. Do some Christmas shopping before hand if you want (who wants to stress for a month anyway) but don't forget about the holiday between Halloween and Christmas.


Stay hungry my friends,
Felecia

8 comments:

  1. Great points. I love the way we spend the day eating, relaxing and enjoying the company of our friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Seeing family has become so much more important in the last few years.

      Delete
  2. I don't celebrate Thanksgiving but I can see how it can turn into a pit stop for Christmas if you let it!Never thought about it. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder that Thanksgiving is all about gratitude and it's ok to focus on this day and consider it special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  4. Black Friday used to be fun but it really has gotten out of hand. I'll probably stay in my nice warm house with my lovely family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Especially now with there being so much you can do online. You can still shop, but do it from the comfort of your own home. Happy Thanksgiving

      Delete